* Only light armor and no shield (though armor is disdained by most
* Weapons: dagger, escrima sticks, small thrown weapons(knives, darts,
shuriken, boomerang, etc), sling, spear.
* Hp = D6 per level. 1pt/level after 9th level.
* Attacks and Saves as Magic User
* Illusionists can fight Florentine Style with small weapons
* Illusionists cast spells as MU's do, but there are strong somatic
components in most illusion spells. Spellcasters literally dance
as they weave and shape mystical forces. Most spells require
* For Illusionists, the primary Ability which affects their castings
is CHA (rather than PSY as with MU's).
** See MU notes about casting spells in regular OD&D.
* Illusionist spellbooks read like an amalgamation of artist sketches,
musical notation, dance steps, wavy lines representing bodily move-
ments, phonetics of vocalizations, geometric diagrams, and strange
mathematical ciphers and sigils.
* Illusionists know alchemy
* Illusionists get a bonus on rolls to disbelieve illusions not cast by
them equal to their CHA bonus.
* Can sense invisible opponents nearby at 7th level.
* Illusionists can counterspell other illusionists (see original
* Spells, scrolls, items, charms, etc, can be researched and created as
a mage does.
* Cantrips can be cast at any time and cost no spell points.
* Illusionists detect magic(and also Detect Illusion) as a MU does.
* Many mediums can be used to hold and cast illusionist magic from -
musical compositions, paintings, architecture, dance movements,
* Tattoos can be drawn to hold wards and charms, as well as any other
illusionist spell. The illusionist can have 1 tattoo per XP level
and the same rules and CON drain apply as to magic-users. As far as
is known, only Illusionists or Mages from the Rime Islands know the
secret of creating these magical tattoos.
* At level 1, Illusionists receive the ability of Darksight which
allows them to see 10 feet in the dark(their spellbooks are often
written in ink that flouresces when seen with "Darksight").
Underground elements which radiate in the ultraviolet spectrum
can be seen at a distance of 30 feet.
* Illusionists originally hail from the Rime Islands far to the south.
All have seamanship and boatwright skills. Illusionists will also
have talent/training in one or more of The Arts (painting, sculpting,
music, singing, acting, architecture, dance, carving, drawing,
calligraphy, poetry, etc. Characters will begin with 2 of these
skills and add 1 skill at levels 6, 11, 16, and 21.