Scholars are drawn to the discovery of hidden knowledge, artifacts and
relics of great power, the mysteries buried in the past or even originating
from/residing on other realms/planes(though some orders exist to hide,
obfuscate, or eliminate such knowledge). In addition, all scholars will have
specialized training according to the purposes of their respective orders.
For example, an order dedicated to healing and medicine might have their
scholars trained as physicians or the like. An order dedicated to ancient
technologies would have training in the construction and operation of such
devices as well as in the physical sciences.
If the Scholar belongs to an order which worships or venerates a particular
deity/powerful being/pantheon, they are considered "Clerics" and may also
receive several spells or spell-like abilities from the being(s), as a side
effect of their interactions, or because of their deep belief in that being.
The exact powers and casting methodologies will differ from group to group
(and possibly even from cleric to cleric). For instance, a cleric of Zeus
might be able to cast Lightning Bolt and Polymorph Self, a cleric of Hephaestus
would know the secret of constructing Javelins of Lightning, and a cleric of
Ares might wear bronze armor, wield a war spear and be able to Cause Fear in
their enemies, etc. Clerics whose patron deity is affiliated with death or who
belong to a "cult of death" may be able to CONTROL undead(or even be able to
create them). Most Clerics will also have simple ritual spells such as Bless,
Sanctuary, Augury, etc.
* Not all scholars belong to an order. Some are individuals who have uncovered
and collected secret knowledge or esoteric lore and used it to gain power and
augment their natural attributes and abilities. This lore may have been discovered
through research, exploration, or fortunate happenstance. Warlocks and those who
have found(or been found by) ancient beings and forged pacts with them are one
example. Each of these will have a distinct array of spells, invocations, and
physical or mental augmentations granted or shown to them by their patron as
well as diverse occult knowledge.
* Armor depends on what is useful and practical or upon the order to which the scholar
belongs, if he belongs to one, and its goals and skillsets. Only a scholar involved
with the study/worship of warfare would be likely to wear heavy armor.
* Scholars are limited by whatever weapons they have found training in or to those
weapons which are allowed by their order and are useful to their mission. If a
scholar belongs to an order, it will have certain weapons it trains its members in.
(Note that some healing orders may train in only empty-hand techniques)
* Hp = D6 per level. 2pts/level after 9th level.
* Attacks and Saves as a Cleric.
* Because of their knowledge and the dark places they often haunt in order to
secure this knowledge, Scholars have learned how to protect themselves from
the undead. (See Undead Turning Table)
* Scholars can use magical scrolls as well as most magical items. Items with spells
of detection or which enable travel across vast distances or to other planes are
highly sought after.
* Scholars know alchemy
* Languages: Double language bonuses for INT higher than 10
* Read Languages: 1(D6) chance to decipher coded maps, ancient or dead
languages, magical writings, technical schematics, etc.
1-2 at level 5, 1-3 at level 9 and 1-4 at level 13, 1-5
at level 17+.
* Sage Ability: Chance to know the answer to a specific question about
history, theology, geography, law, customs, music, math,
philosophy, gaming, medicine, martial theory, local
fables, heraldry, science, literature, etc. is 1(D6) at
level 1, 1-2 at level 5, 1-3 at level 9 and 1-4 at level 13,
1-5 at level 17+.
* Scholars can create professional maps and illuminated manuscripts, write
calligraphy, make detailed sketches and technical drawings, and copy
handwriting and magical scrolls.
* 1 in 6 chance to detect magic nearby. Becomes 2 in 6 chance at level 9.
* PICK LOCKS/FOIL MAGICAL ENCLOSURES/OPEN PUZZLE BOXES as Thief of the same level.
* ARCHITECTURE(Chance to detect sloping passages, shifting walls, trick rooms,
pits, new construction, when actively examining them) = 1-4 on D6